positive

positive

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Positive

A week ago, I tested positive for the harmful BRCA2 gene mutation. So what exactly does that mean? Well, for me, it means I have an 84% chance of getting breast cancer and a coin flips chance of getting ovarian cancer... NOT a coin I want to be flipping. As a result I will be weaning my 6 month old son Jasper soon, and facing a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy (preventative removal of both breasts) and eventual reconstruction surgery followed by a complete hysterectomy. These procedures will reduce my odds by 90+% of suffering the same fate so many in my family bloodline before me did. I've decided to start this blog so I can keep a record of my journey. I have so much to say, and things I want to share. I've decided to take plenty of pictures and make vlogs along the way. This is the beginning of my journey. 



1 comment: